Friday, October 03, 2008

Impromptu Vacation Day

Back on Sept 12, I had planned to take a vacation day, as Scott was scheduled to play in golf outing and, heck, if he got to take the day off for something fun, I was going to also. But rainy weather forced the postponement of Scott's golf outing and we all went to work. I realized earlier this week that the golf outing was rescheduled to today. So yesterday I decided to take an impromptu vacation day.

My goal - visit the various scenic places I have read about, driven by, but never had the opportunity to stop and visit.
My first destination - the Mabery Gelvin Botanical Garden in Mahomet.


I bet this is fabulous when the water lilies are in bloom.


I liked the red bridge - most of the time, they are painted green or brown.




In addition to the large pond, there are several smaller water features nestled in the formal garden area:


Even though the summer plants are past their prime, many autumn plants are hitting their peak and the leaves are starting to turn.






Cool markings on a rock:


After a nice lunch at Panera, I drove to the Japan House / Arboretum / Hartley gardens on campus.

At the Japan house:




Rows of Aspens line the grounds of the arboretum:




I couldn't ask for a nicer day for my impromptu day off.

6 comments:

Anonymous 7:58 PM  

Love, love, LOVE the photos!! I admire your talent. Looks like you had a terrific day - good for you, you deserve it!

shirley 8:18 PM  

Jeannine, you are too kind!

Sherry 9:29 PM  

Shirley. I really love your photos. Seriously. I think you should take more days off and photograph. =] Not only are you lucky to have such beautiful spots to visit, but you have a great eye for catching just the right photo. Different perspectives - so cool.

Anonymous 10:21 PM  

Shirley....awesome photos! We have used the bridge and the Japan house area (especially the line of trees) for fammily photos the past year. You should check out heartfeltimagesbykara.com for photos too. I think you and Kara have a lot in common. Take another vacation day soon....they are good for the soul.

Sue 9:14 AM  

Beautiful pictures!

agent713 4:52 PM  

Fantastic shots!!! That bridge is incredible. Beautiful! I agree that you need to take more days off and just take pictures. What a treat for the eyes!

Copyright Notice

All images on this blog (unless stated) are the intellectual property and copyright of SLPhotography and shirley319 (© 2009, 2010). Do not steal, borrow or pirate the images here.

The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code. and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act) prohibits the use of digital property to be used without the consent of its owner.

Stat Counter

email subscription

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP